Tuesday, July 15, 2008

my trip home

I was so happy to go home, even if for only a short time, to see my family and friends this summer. I had a great time in New York and Cape Cod, with plenty of activities jam-packed into just a little over a week. I am trying to avoid making this sound like the presentation I gave on the trip to my 1st and 2nd graders when I returned, but it may be unavoidable, as I did it 4 times today. Anyway, in New York I got to see friends and my sister, and it turned out to be a very culinary trip, as I was desperate to eat my fill of non-Japanese food. The 4th was spent in Cape Cod, celebrating with lobster and fireworks on the beach. It was great to see a production of La Cage Aux Folles while I was there, one of the things I really miss here in Japan is a variety of entertainment options, particularly nighttime ones, and I was reminded of this when I probably spent almost an hour debating what to do one night in nyc with my friends, the possibilities being more or less endless. A lot of people asked how it was to be home, how I felt and the answer became "It's weird because it's not weird". I think because I left in the summer, spending the time right before I left doing things very similar to what I did on this trip, it felt like no time had passed at all, like I had just entered some kind of time warp and was right back in last summer. And I was glad it was easy to say goodbye to friends because a few are coming to visit in September. So soon!


Noura and Mr. Franklin

Gina's apt


The new New Museum, around the corner from our old Stanton st. apt, and next door to the infamous sunshine hotel

at bocce

my beloved gowanus canal


the lovely smith and 9


what else could you want besides ice coffee, a stoop, and these 3?

Some baby birds in my parents' backyard. The kids really liked this pic.

Lobster on the 4th of July

Jackie, me and Gina

Beach fireworks!



looking good, flatiron!


pre-shake shack-induced coma in madison square park

some new paintings from N and M


sooo much better than Engrish


No comments: